Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Catching up - my final days in Rishikesh...

These posts have come to me somewhat out of order ever since my world got rocked by the Himalayan trip a few weeks back - no biggie, but it's a challenge to all teh Virgo in my chart which loves order and linear chronology. ANYWAY, here's Rishikesh for ya, once again.

After Himalaya, after we arrived back to Ishan hotel just before midnight on the 27th of May, life changed again. The weather was hot again. It was hard to move for all the Indian tourists (actually, that wasn't tooo different to certain treks we did up north, but mostly we were subject to lots of natural space and looong car journeys). And I had decided to stay in a 500 rupee a night room just because it was beautiful and I wanted a good view of Ganga - this would have been unthinkable to me a few years back!

Here's what happened to me in my final week in Rishkesh:

I fixed my guitar. For 50 rupees ($1.60??). Yeehah!

I was tempted too much by Banoffee pie and the Ishan restaurant chocolate balls (which excited the giardia bacteria in my gut enough to come back and haunt me... urrggghhhh...)

I met an amazing yoga teacher, Mukesh, recently out of Sivananda teaching camp and LOVED his classes. Slow, deep, healing.... I think he'll go far! And for only 100 rupees, they were an absolute steal....

I met some Australians who loved my accent and welcomed me into their whiskey party, which I tried to enjoy although I truly despise whiskey.... had a jam with a lovely Canadian though who played a mean Bob Dylan tune and was more than happy for me to oblige with some Joni, tunes from his motherland!

Met an Australian woman who gifted me with a Vedic meditation technique - pretty much similar to T.M in which the meditator focusses on a given mantra twice a day. To be honest, it's turned out to not really be my preferred form of meditation thus far, but she did take me through a beautiful puja ceremony and I'm grateful for the time she gave me.

Said bye to my Russian / Ukranian whanau, which I've written about already but whose interactions I go over in my head every single day, not wanting to forget a single moment of my time with them.

Caught a night bus here to Dharmasala with the two remaining Soviets - Dima and Lena - where we all stay happily in a small family guesthouse far far away from the upper Bhagsu parties... but that's another story....

No comments:

Post a Comment