Sunday, March 20, 2011

Leaving paradise

Everything has a time and a place. And as we know, we all have to move on sometime. Everyone has their time to leave a place, and this seems to be mine.

At least I'm not doing it alone. Some of my dorm sisters are coming along too - Mai and I will take the night train to Bangkok while Maike and Jessie will travel to a National park where Jessie used to live once upon a time. So at least the jeep to the ferry terminal is filled with my friends. We leave with laughter and girlish energy and lots of goodbyes to those staying behind. I have so enjoyed connecting with so many amazing females on this trip so far - it's been something really special.

The boatride from Thong Sala to Surat Thani, the mainland, is beautiful. It's hot hot hot and we hang our legs over the side and stare into the greeny blue mass of sea below. I would dive in if I could, I'm so dehydrated. It's PACKED though, with full moon partiers all trying to sleep off their hangovers in their fluoro shorts and wristbands. I'm so glad I didn't go - why would I leave for horrible Haad Rin when Haad Tien was so amazing and had incredible dance parties every week anyway? Beats me... after a while a few drops of rain fall on my page and my parched skin, and I welcome it fully until we pass under a particularly grey cloud and get soaked to the skin. It's actually quite cold for a while, but soon enough the boat moves away from the grey and we are wringing out our sarongs and hanging them out to dry, keeping an eye on our 'laundry' so it doesn't get lost overboard.

But all too soon, the boatride is over and I say goodbye to my German and Dutch sisters with the intention of reunioning in Holland with them in July. As I sit and write this on the bus to the train station, it begins to hit me what I am leaving behind. Tropical paradise. Morning yoga on my platform by the sea. Papaya and watermelon fruit salad with fresh orange juice. The Sanctuary and so many open hearted like minded souls. Meditations, all that sweating, evening time dancing at 'Spice' bar, Saturday morning dance parties. Letting the ocean soothe my myriad of mosquito bites. Amazing amazing conversations with near strangers (not strangers for long...), morning hugs, workshops, open mic nights, Tuesday films under the stars. My SISTERS! Our dorm. Those beautiful black and bright red millipedes that you have to be careful not to squash and the striking lone hornbill in the tree outside. Spending so much money on delicious Sanctuary cocktails. On my last night I help prop up the bar with the Norwegians and it's so good. So good. And then there are the jungle walks, the rainstorms, the full moon reflecting off the water...

My heart is so open, and now it aches some as I leave it all behind. I never learn; I will always be a dreamer and a romantic. I listen to The Beatles on my i-pod and wonder if I'll ever find a place like Haad Tien again. Rain falls outside and I feel so many things. Everything is beautiful. And no, I'm not 'on' anything besides the prana in my charging heart. It's charging full power. I really feel like I will visit this place again soon. It justs feels too damn good not to. But as for now, there is stuff I gotta - and wanna - do, like visit my lovely friends in Saigon via a trip to Cambodia. There is much to look forward to. I'm just glad I went to Haad Tien first, so now I'm carrying this energy inside with me as I go. I have a feeling that everything is going to work out just fine...

No comments:

Post a Comment