Thursday, March 17, 2011

Life at The Sanctuary... still in Haad Tien!

They do say that this is a place that you can never leave and it turns out to be true. Most people I meet have been here for at least a month, but I know I have only a week at the most as my flight to India leaves in two weeks or so. I curse my forward planning... I don't like being limited like this, but at least I can get a small taste of paradise so I know where to come back next time...

My life has pretty much been like this for the past week:

Awake around 7 for my own yoga practise on an aforementioned yoga platform overlooking the sea. Carrie, a new Norwegian friend offers to take a couple of free classes for Maike and I, which are really lovely. While we lie in savasana, she rubs tiger balm into our temples and forehead and sings prayers. SIGH - god it's nice to reconnect with yoga.... pure sattvic bliss!

After yoga, jump in the aqua sea. Make mental note to find out whether or not the baby blue jellyfish are poisonous or not.

Drink a juice or eat fruit salad and share life stories with some of the amazing women I keep meeting here. There are so many of them! And so many are blond as well for some reason - maybe cause most of them come from Holland, Germany or Norway... go figure...

Sunbathe in the pebbly sand

Eat Thai coconut soup / massaman curry / one of the delectable salads from 'The Sanctuary' menu

Climb hill back to dormitory for afternoon nap

Afternoon pilates class

Swim in the aqua sea again

Every evening there is something happening at The Sanctuary or surrounding guesthouses. There is "Mixed tape Monday" which is perfect for music junkies like me who take their i-pods in and play their favourite songs to other music enthusiasts. We hear some Russian bluegrass and Israeli gypsy tunes as well as local musos from Brighton, and of course, New Zealand...

On Tuesday we watch "Exit Through the Gift Shop" from a projector, lying under the stars. I've seen this documentary about Banksy and other graffitti artists before, but it's even better the second time around.

Wednesday... I'm sure there is something happening but I don't leave the dorm, instead having an amazing in depth conversation with my new sisters from Holland, Germany and Belgium.

Thursday.. open mic night. I'm loving it... I momentarily fall in love with someone called Lars who plays the harmonium... listen to Asaf play the melodica... play some songs myself... take part in a human percussion impromptu workshop on stage and listen to some 7 year olds tell jokes about cows. It's a great night...

And now it's Friday, the night of the weekly all night party in Haad Tien. No alcohol has touched my lips in a while now, so perhaps it's time to let loose with a Sanctuary mohito or two. So long as the music is good and the people are grooving, I'll be right in there. Full moon tonight also - bonus!

I don't know how I'm going to leave on Sunday... at least I have my ticket now... but there have been so many beautiful moments here, it will stay with me for a long time I know...

xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment