Thursday, March 31, 2011

SAIGON

Ahhh... no time to craft this one, I'm just gonna blurt it all out.

In Saigon / Ho Chi minh city, hanging with Emma and luke. It is SO GOOD to see old friends I tell ya... I think I'm over travelling alone. Except in India, cause in India MAGIC HAPPENS!! Can't wait to get there on Monday, it's going to feel like coming home I bet...

So, Em and Luke are teaching English here, making sheeeetloads of money and spending very little (this is the cheapest place I've found in SE Asia). They are staying out in Tan Binh near the airport, a local district where other foreigners are as rare as hen's teeth. We saw another guy last night in the mall and both balked somewhat. Being the only forries means prices are local and don't get bumped up, and as a result I have been amazed at how cheap everything is. Beer for 50 cents (I'm converting to American dollars now after using their dollars in Cambodia), 'Pho' (delicious noodle soup) for 70 cents or so, a motorbike ride into the city for a couple of dollars... prices do vary somewhat but they are ridiculously cheap, especially considering how much English teachers can earn (LOTS!!). I'm seriously considering coming here myself after my travels in Europe this summer, although the pollution would get me down I think. However, I am noticing a marked difference on the motorbiikes after purchasing a baby blue face mask for 10 cents at the supermarket last night.

The FOOD is amazing. Rice noodle soups are common, and they come with a plate of Vietnamese mint and lettuce, and chilli sauces to flavour them with. MMM... this morning we had traditional pancakes - rice flour and eggs fried with mushrooms adn tofu inside (we got the vegie version) with mint and lettuce on the side again. Everything tastes so fresh and healthy, I love it...

The people are lovely too and I have not been scammed once, which is probably due to the fact that I'm not staying in the touristic area. Even there though, people are lovely. And how can I begrudge them bumping up their prices by a couple of dollars? This is a country that, like Cambodia, has been truly screwed over. I have just returned from the War Museum and the fact that the U.S took it as their right to 'save' the Vietnamese from Communism makes me boil inside. How frickin arrogant! I know it's years ago, but still, wars like Vietnam are still going on in other parts of the world... it's hard not to get cynical about it.

Another thing it's hard not to get cynical about it CLIMATE CHANGE. There are 4 million motorbikes on the streets every day here, and the pollution on the streets is horrid. It really puts into perspective how hopeful, optimistic and slightly naice New Zealand is when we talk about reduing our carbon emissisons. I mean, great! But how about Vietnam or China changing their ways? New Zealanders are small fish when it comes to the changes that need to happen. I'm glad we can do our bit, but after being here.... the problem seems MUCH bigger than simply turning off yoru lights when you leave the room... every little bit helps they say, but I for one wish that Siagon would sort itself out a decent public transport system... even Delhi has a metro now! I'm excited to use it...

I am TIRED though. I put my neck out whilst sleeping one night and received some really good acupuncture for it yesterday (ten bucks, plus seven for herbs). Lovely English speaking doctor, clean sterile premises and non-reusable needles. Plus I guess that after moving around wuite a lot since leving Thailand I' m actaully more physically exhausted than I realise, so it's been nice to just chill out at their hotel while they've worked...

That's enough for a while. Eloquence can wait. SO very tired and meeting Em for another shopping session soon, so going to go and recuperate for half an hour or so until then... much love to all xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment